How great was that win?!?
So, on the way home from the bar, Nikki and I did our best rendition of the Papelbon Irish jig to every passing car. Great fun. Though not so great on the bar-food filled stomach topped off with a bit of hard cider. There is nothing like winning a championship to bring a community together for that fleeting moment. It's surreal and wonderful, the tragedy is that we can't find other things to bring us together in euphoria.
Okay. I'm changing the subject and the thing is that you can't stop me, what with this being my blog and all. I'm changing it for a reason. Maybe even two. First, because I'm mostly speechless about the Sox, and second, because this crazy thing is happening in my building. It goes like this.
I live on the first floor of a typical three-family abode in Jamaica Plain: three floors, three apartments. Yesterday I found a note in our mailbox from our upstairs neighbor that read as follows:
Hi downstairs neighbors--Number one, there's nothing wrong with the door (the lock's a little sticky, but that's beside the point). Number two, if we ever slammed our door this might be a reasonable note for us to receive. But we're not really a door-slamming kind of folk. It's a front door. It has weather-stripping all around it to keep out the wind and other elements, and with such, has to be pulled shut into its casing...kind of like most front doors. It does that "fwump" thing into its frame; it might even shake the house a little...much as their front door does. It's true, one of my housemates leaves the house every day at 6:45...to go to her place of employment helping troubled youth. And finally, none of us come home past 11 on any normal night.
Could you please, please, please not slam your front door? Especially very early in the morning and very late at night, it's quite disturbing as I sleep right above your entry way. If the door needs to be fixed, please let David know. Thanks so much,
Steve, Apt. 2
Sweet Dreams!
So, my question is this: what the fuck, Steve?
The other thing that adds nicely to this scenario is that Steve has a habit of building things--like with hammers and sanders and shit--in his room, so that we often have to turn up our television just to hear it. And that his room is an add-on; they wanted to cut down on their rent so they converted the space above our entry way into a bedroom. And one of them is a loud-walker. An all hours of the night loud-walker. And my room is situated just under the stairs, so I hear them every time they come or go. In other words, they aren't exactly quiet neighbors themselves.
But let me be clear about one thing: I have lived here for over two years and we have never left them a note about the noise they make. Mostly because we live in an apartment and other people's noise is one of those things that just kind of comes with apartment dwelling, right? I mean, if we were having raging parties at all hours on a regular basis, practicing our drumset (which we don't have...this is just an example) every night at 11, having screaming fights on a weekly basis, etc., well, then you might have an actual cause for leaving such a note. But asking people to not come into or out of their home unless you are fully through with your sleepy time is just insane. I mean, honestly, if you are stupid enough to choose to take a room above somebody's front door, you're going to have to deal with the consequences.
The thing is, now I feel like I have to respond. If I don't respond he's going to assume we are "slamming" the door on purpose (which, I will admit, my housemate did do this morning just cuz she was so annoyed by his note). If I respond as I do here, he'll feel all attacked and shit. It's important to me to have a good neighborly relationship with the neighbors. It makes for much easier living all the way around. But why are people so inept at seeing themselves? How is it that he can't deduce through the sheer fact of him living above us that we deal with his noise every day, too? Why pick this fight?
So here's the note I think I'm going to write him:
Dear Steve,Diplomatic, right? I'd just like to state for the record that if this starts a pissing match, I'm all in. I'm not one to back away from childish behavior. But sometimes it just seems like playing at adults just makes more sense.
We're sorry our front door is keeping you from sleep. We can certainly try to be quieter in the closing of it, but we want to assure you that we don't "slam" our door and there's nothing wrong with it...it's just a front door, surrounded by weather-stripping and encased in its original wood frame. In fact, it sounds exactly like your front door when it closes (which we hear, too). I know it's annoying to hear your neighbors (the stairs to your apartment are along the wall of one of our bedrooms, so we hear all your comings and goings, too), but unfortunately, that's just part of apartment living.
If you're really concerned about it and want to ask David if he can do something about it, please feel free. We just don't think there's anything actually wrong with it.
Best,
Your upstairs neighbors
I'll keep you posted.
4 comments:
Good letter Kris- but one questions- aren't you his downstairs neighbor? You signed as "upstairs." I am shocked that you didn't mention his hammers and sanders. I guess it is smart to save that for the next note in case it does become a pissing match. I'm hooked.
Kris! Let's get a drum set! How fun would that be? Especially when I have NO musical ability! And am happy to help piss! I mean in the pissing match! And in general, too!
Can't wait to go to the Sox rally with you. I practiced my jig. I want to make a sign that says, Re-sign Lowell. Or maybe, Cancer is NOT a gift from God, you stupid moron Timlin.
And one of them is a loud-walker. An all hours of the night loud-walker.
Apartment 2-2, 2192 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge. Don't live in the apartment below that couple. My old roommates and I never figured out whether it was the guy or the gal who had to stomp-stomp-STOMP with every step, but we got notes, and phone calls and visits from them about our "noise" too, ranging from the television and music to telephone conversations (I swear!).
We did what most people do -- acquiesce verbally but never make any observable effort to be quieter -- because what more can one do, really? Give up TV, music and conversation?
I think what you offer your neighbor -- the truth plain and simple, a shoot-from-the-hip square deal -- shows your maturity and pragmatism in a way that is well-intentioned and sensitive, while strong and sensible.
But be prepared for the possibility that he will still be upset. Because when people don't hear exactly what they want or expect, getting upset is what they do.
Post a Comment